Thursday, September 3, 2026

From Summer to Fall

We're now in meteorological fall which is my favorite season of the year for photography. In addition to foliage colors it's also the season of events, including Tugboat Roundup and battle anniversaries at Saratoga National Historical Park. If I'm going to be making gear changes I want to make sure they're completed before these events get going. 

As soon as I picked up the RF 16-28mm lens to pair with the RF 28-70mm lens I had a nagging feeling that I wouldn't be happy for long. Two days ago, I sent the two non L f/2.8 STM zoom lenses to MPB in trade for an RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM (my 4th copy) and some cash. 

Some reasons for the swap are:

  • longer focal lengths than 70mm.

  • having the 45mm f/1.2 diminishes the need for f/2.8 in an everyday lens.

  • the 24-105mm L is optically corrected.

  • my collection of five 77mm filters plus the 500D which brings the magnification of the lens to .5X.

  • USM focusing motor.

  • full weather sealing.

I should have the lens by the middle of next week, which is cutting it close for the Tugboat Roundup. Until then, I have the RF 45mm f/1.2 lens and my Minolta manual everything lenses.

Here is a collection of shots since the last post, over a week ago.

RF 45mm f/1.2, f/2, 1/60 sec., ISO 100

RF 45mm f/1.2, f/1.4, 1/60 sec., ISO 800

RF 16-28mm f/2.8 at 16mm, f/5.6, 1/350 sec., ISO 400

RF 28-70mm f/2.8 at 28mm, f/8, 1/250 sec., ISO 100

RF 28-70mm f/2.8 at 43mm, f/8, 1/1500 sec., ISO 100

RF 45mm f/1.2, f/1.4, 1/500 sec., ISO 400

RF 45mm f/1.2, f/2, 1/250 sec., ISO 400

RF 45mm f/1.2, f/8, 1/2000 sec., ISO 100


No comments:

Post a Comment