Sunday, September 13, 2026

After Dark at Saratoga NHP

I volunteered at a night sky event at Saratoga National Historical Park last evening and I used the 45mm lens for some very low light photos. I would do things somewhat differently the next time I'm doing this kind of shooting. 

As the camera meter wants to expose everything to a middle tone you need to underexpose, compared to the meter reading, to have it look like it actually looks. And I will not bracket exposures, which I routinely do. As exposure compensation settings don't really go far enough, I will switch to manual adjustments to get the brightness where I want it with exposure simulation in the viewfinder.

But, I did get some decent images after I was through directing parking.

RF 45mm f/1.2 STM, f/1.2, 1/30 sec., ISO 1600

RF 45mm f/1.2 STM, f/1.2, 1/30 sec., ISO 1600

RF 45mm f/1.2 STM, f/1.2, 1/10 sec., ISO 1600

RF 45mm f/1.2 STM, f/1.2, 1/6 sec., ISO 1600

RF 45mm f/1.2 STM, f/1.2, 1/15 sec., ISO 3200

RF 45mm f/1.2 STM, f/1.2, 1/10 sec., ISO 3200


No comments:

Post a Comment