Saturday, March 14, 2020

I Don't Think I'll Keep It

While my plan was to purchase the rented EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM lens at the end of the rental period, my current thinking is that I will pass. The lens is great but there are a few points against purchasing this copy at this point.

First, the lens is larger and heavier than either my EF 17-40mm f/4L lens or my EF 24-70mm f/4L IS lens. Second, this is the first rental for this particular copy and the purchase price is only $21 less than the new retail cost of $999 which would include a warranty from Canon.

Third, the lens has some circular flare with the sun in the frame which I've seen on online review testing and which I ran into this morning. Here is some rainbow flare at 16mm and f/8, which is typical, apparently.





In any case, I have until Friday to evaluate whether this lens is worth the extra money over the 17-40mm lens I already own. Here are some other shots from this morning's walk.


21mm

24mm

No comments:

Post a Comment