Friday, November 1, 2019

High Water, More to Come, Bad Timing

Areas to the north and west of me, but in the Hudson River watershed, received up to 7 inches of rain overnight when a cold front came through with high winds that caused my power to be out for about six hours.

First, a little background. Flood stage on the Hudson River at Troy is 21.5 feet. I know from past events that 21.5 feet at Troy means the water is right to the top of the concrete wall in Waterford.

The river was initially forecast to reach flood stage around 2:00 PM this afternoon. My photos show it about 6 inches below the top of the wall in Waterford a bit after 2:00 PM. A later forecast has flood stage occurring around 4:00 PM. This forecast has the water cresting at around 23.3 feet overnight and receding back to flood stage tomorrow afternoon.

I'm heading to Oneonta for a soccer match mid morning tomorrow but I hope to get over soon after sunrise (7:29 AM) to check out the water levels at that point. Although I've been using the 7D Mark II for almost everything recently, I used the 5D Mark III and 24-105mm lens this afternoon. I may just stick with one each of these two bodies for the time being.







No comments:

Post a Comment