Monday, September 4, 2023

Maybe Another Transition

I took today off from my daily park visits during this nice stretch of weather. It was overcast in the early morning and I couldn't think of anywhere I really wanted to visit. So I didn't.

I've been going over my recent photos and looking at what the settings were and comparing them to other options. With my use, it's rare that f/1.2 or f/1.4 does something that f/2 can't do as well. I find myself shooting the faster EF lenses at f/2 or even f/2.8 in order to get enough depth of field so that the background is recognizable. 

I'm considering shifting from the EF L grade lenses to RF STM prime lenses. While there is certainly a quality difference in terms of build quality and "on paper" image quality, in practice it most likely isn't that noticeable. 

Reasons for the change would be to have more numerous focal length options with me at all times without relying on a slower zoom lens. The EF 24mm f/1.4L lens and adapter alone weighs 760 grams. The 16mm, 24mm, 28mm and 50mm RF STM lenses together weigh 705 grams. 

I'm not totally decided yet but It would be a slightly cash positive transition with the 6D and 24-70mm f/4L, 24mm f/1.4L, 35mm f/1.4L and 50mm f/1.2L lenses going out and RF 16mm f/2.8, 24mm f/1.8, 28mm f/2.8, 35mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/2 lenses coming in along with the 50mm f/1.8 I already have.

I could actually leave out the 24mm and 35mm STM lenses and have a rather complete kit while gaining about $800 more than with those lenses added.

[UPDATE 9/6/23: I'm going to go ahead with the transition. The outgoing gear is packed up and I've received the first two lenses already, the 16mm and 28mm lenses. Some photos from this morning are at https://trulandphotography.com/blog/2023/9/another-lens-transition.]


No comments:

Post a Comment