Friday, August 11, 2023

Another New/Old Piece of Kit

Gear migrations are a lot like rabbit holes. Once you start you're not sure where you'll end up. Usually with some dead ends along the way. 

I keep thinking that it'll be "one more" piece to settle matters. It doesn't seem like it. 

My most recent addition, the EF 24-70mm f/4L IS lens, my third copy, does what I wanted with respect to focal length flexibility without lugging around three fast prime lenses that are the same size and weight as the zoom. But, the image stabilization on the lens doesn't seem to work all that well with the image stabilization in the R6 body. The viewfinder image jumps around in ways it doesn't with the non-stabilized lenses. Switching the "high speed display" option on mostly cures the jumping but that setting is a battery hog. 

After a couple of days thinking about various options I decided to experiment with an older DSLR body I've never owned or used, the EOS 6D from 2012. I had a pair of 6D Mark II bodies during the second half of 2021 but never the original 6D. 

One factor in the 6D's favor is it has the same exact sensor resolution, 20MP, as the R6. I won't be tempted to use it just for resolution purposes. Also, used copies are cheap. The copy I found on eBay cost me less than one sixth the price of when they were new, which was $2,100.

On hikes, I will be able to carry the 24-70mm lens on the 6D and any of the fast prime lenses on the R6 with my Black Rapid Double Breathe strap. The camera should arrive early next week.

Here is a comparison of the two bodies from the comparison site https://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-EOS-R6-vs-Canon-EOS-6D.


And here is a youtube video comparing the two bodies. There are some errors in the video. A couple in the first few sentences. It's an R6 not a 6R and there are 8 years between the launch of the cameras not 6.


No comments:

Post a Comment