Saturday, June 8, 2019

KISS Kit

One of the things I like to do is to put together small bags of gear, either for a particular purpose or not, and intend to use that limited kit for a period of time. It almost never works out though.

I always go back to my complete kit in my big backpack. Which actually makes sense. Why handicap your photos by using less than the best equipment available?

But, for now, I'm using my EOS 7D Mark II with my two EF-S lenses which are designed for crop sensor cameras, the 24mm f/2.8 pancake lens and the 60mm f/2.8 macro lens. These are the equivalent full frame focal lengths of 38.4mm and 96mm.

The 7DII has a built in flash so I don't need to include a speedlite. I've got the kit in a ThinkTank Mirrorless Mover shoulder bag.

Her are two shots showing the focal lengths as I described above:


24mm (38.4mm eq.)

60mm (96mm eq.)

Here are two shots from this morning with the 24mm lens showing the two bridges to Peebles Island which you can see in the 24mm photo above.


South Bridge to Peebles Island

North Bridge to Peebles Island

And here are some shots from yesterday afternoon with the 60mm macro lens.






UPDATE: I've already made a slight adjustment to the KISS Kit. The Mirrorless Mover bag was a bit too small as I was walking around this morning, lens changes were difficult. So I decided to move the kit to a Case Logic Kontrast bag I use with a full frame camera, 24-105mm lens and flash.

This change allows for a larger lens attached to the camera so I decided to add the 17-40mm lens to the kit. This is the super weather proof combination I used in the rain in Maine in April. The 17-40mm lens also allows a wider view than the 24mm pancake.

ANOTHER UPDATE 6/9/2019: I walked up the old Champlain Canal this morning with the kit as described above. There's a tweet here. But, I missed the long lens capability, which is where the 7DII shines. So, I've moved to a slightly bigger bag, the ThinkTank Speed Freak and added the EF 70-300mm lens. I also swapped out the 60mm macro for the 50mm STM to shed a little weight. We'll see how long this lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment