Wednesday, January 10, 2018

The EOS M3 Joins the Pancake Project

One of the ways I expect I'll be using the M3 is with my 40mm pancake lens via an EF to EF-M adapter. On the M3 this lens has a full frame equivalent field of view of 64mm. With a maximum aperture of f/2.8 it's about one and a half stops faster than the kit lens at 40mm. It also has better image quality but no image stabilization.

As I mentioned yesterday, I've currently no way to apply lens correction to RAW files so I've got the camera set up to correct automatically as it saves JPG files. This actually works pretty well. I was out this morning and compared the RAW and JPG files and the color fringing present in the RAW files was absent in the JPGs.

I also used JPG files for HDR processing with acceptable results. Here some examples.

First, this is a three file HDR composite using the JPG files.




This is a single file HDR processed from the JPG.




These are JPG files right out of the camera with only a reduction in size done in processing.






And this is how the lens, adapter and a lens hood I had left over from some old Powershot cameras looks attached to the M3.




No comments:

Post a Comment