Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Abandoned Shipyard

I brought my 50D and EF 17-40mm f/4L USM lens on my (not really) daily walk a few days ago and made some photos of the old buildings at the abandoned Matton Shipyard on Van Schaick Island in Cohoes, which is now a part of Peebles Island State Park.

I used live view to frame the shots as I had to hold the camera over my head above a chain link fence. Both shots were made at f/6.7 and at the short end of the zoom lens which has a field of view equivalent to a 27mm lens on a 35mm film or full frame camera.

With the overcast sky and snow on the ground, the white balance was all over the place. I had to adjust white balance first and then save the bracketed files to jpgs before I could process them with PhotoMatix Essentials.

This whole area was under water back in late August 2011 with flooding from Tropical Storm Irene.






Here is a shot of the same building I made in August, 1989 with a Minolta film camera and Kodak slide fim.




No comments:

Post a Comment