Thursday, September 26, 2019

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens

Even though my full frame 5D Mark III bodies are more expensive and, in theory, more capable cameras, I enjoy using my crop sensor 7D Mark II more. The ten frames per second, a more visible and capable viewfinder level, better weather sealing and compensation for the frequency issues with artificial lighting are some of the reasons.

Now I have one more reason to prefer using the 7DII. There is one Canon lens designed for crop sensor bodies that is as good or better than similar lenses for full frame bodies except for weather sealing. That lens is the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens. With a full frame equivalent field of view of 27-88mm, a fast f/2.8 maximum aperture and image stabilization it is unique among Canon lenses,

A good used copy became locally available yesterday at a good price and I decided to give it a try. If I find myself using this body and lens combination instead of one of the 5DIII bodies and the 24-105mm f/4 lens, I can sell some of my other gear. If not, I can sell this lens without losing money.

I plan on pairing this lens and the 7DII with the 85mm f/1.8 USM lens in a small shoulder bag for daily use. Here are some of my first test shots at last night's sunset and this morning's early light.


28mm

55mm

17mm

28mm

48mm

17mm

No comments:

Post a Comment