Thursday, January 24, 2019

Slimmed Down Bag for Spring

Now that Christmas is over; and the first significant, foot plus, snow storm has passed; and a couple of below zero days, complete with frozen pipes, are history it's time to start thinking about some nicer weather. I have a really bad history with making gear/bag decisions and sticking to them. I'm sure this will be no exception.

Thinking about what kind of work I want to do in the near future, and reflecting on what I consider my best work over the past year or so, I've decided to pare down the gear in my ThinkTank Photo Airport Commuter backpack. I've left out a couple of lenses, my Canon 24-105mm and 70-300mm zooms, and added my Promaster XC522 compact tripod with ballhead.

The lenses I'll be using with my two EOS 5D Mark III bodies are the Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM and Tamron SP 45mm f/1.8 Di VC USD lens. Down the road, I'd like to replace the older, non-stabilized 17-40mm lens with Canon's newer, image stabilized 16-35mm f/4L lens.

In addition to the gear I've mentioned, the Airport Commuter now contains my larger rocket blower, Canon remote release, four 77mm diameter filters for the Canon lens and two 67mm diameter filters for the Tamron lens, a Canon 430EX II flash with Sto-Fen Omnibounce and batteries, two Canon and two Wasabi batteries for the cameras, as shown in the photo below.

Not shown and in the compartments inside the lid and on the back of the backpack are lens and filter cleaning products, extra memory cards, a jar lid opener for stuck filters and OP/TECH USA shoulder straps and dual harness. OP/TECH USA Pro Loop connecters are attached to the camera bodies. The bag and contents weigh in at fifteen pounds.

I envision both carrying the cameras on the straps without the bag and carrying the bag on my back on hikes and walks. The front of the backpack straps have short OP/TECH USA connecters attached so I can have a camera secure and out in front of me with the backpack on.




UPDATE: 2/1/19

It was bothering me not to have the 24-105mm lens in my bag so I decided to remove the travel tripod, and move some of the compartments around. Of course, now I've an empty compartment, which I also don't like.




No comments:

Post a Comment