Sunday, March 18, 2018

Reprocessing Old Files From a 5D Mark II

One thing that's fun is to go back and reprocess files with updated software and the knowledge that's been gained about using the software over that time.

On June 12, 2013, following some heavy rain, I visited Cohoes Falls. I used a tripod extended above my head with live view and a cable release. Here's how I described it in a blog post from 2013:

I used the 5D mark II and EF 17-40mm f/4L USM lens at 31mm. Aperture was f/11 and the shutter speeds were 1/10th, 1/30th and 1/90th of a second. ISO was 100. I believe that I also used a 3 stop neutral density filter to obtain the slow shutter speeds.

First, here are the three unprocessed files simply converted from RAW to JPG in Canon's DPP software.






Here is the HDR processed result from 2013.  Judging by the naming of the finished file, I think I did the HDR processing with Canon's DPP software.




Today, I reprocessed the RAW files with PhotoMatix Pro 6 using its Painterly 5 presets. One thing that's different is the newer and better software has many options for dealing with ghosting and I can choose which file to use as the base. I chose the file with the slowest shutter speed so that the water is a bit more blurred.




There's a reason I was looking through old landscape files which should become evident later in the week.


No comments:

Post a Comment