Truland Photography

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

A New Combination

I set out this morning in dense fog with my crop sensor EOS 80D with the EF 24-105mm f/4L lens. I hadn't used this combination before. In fact I've only used the 80D once, for a soccer game. I wanted to get more used to he 80D because I'll possibly use it for a daytime college soccer match on the weekend.

I certainly could have used a wider angle of view this morning and didn't really use the long end of this lens which has a full frame field of view of 38mm to 168mm. I remain very impressed with the 80D and, in fact, the only reason to choose the 5D Mark III would be the wider full frame view or very high ISO purposes.

I did once again notice the camera taking a long time to write files to the SD card. Upon checking, I was using the card that came with the camera which is a 40mb/s card. The camera is capable of a faster write speed than that. I have a couple of 80mb/s cards and will try one of them next time out.

I ended up with a lot of images from a chilly, foggy morning and will spread them out over a couple of posts. Here are the first which are single shot images (no HDR) with data in the caption.

UPDATE: The 80D does write to the card faster with an 80mb/s card. I've never paid attention to SD card ratings much because my other cameras write to CF cards. Of the six 32MB SD cards I have, I discovered that two are 80mb/s, one is 60mb/s, one is 40mb/s, one is class 10 with no mb/s rating and one is class 4 with no mb/s rating.


24mm, f/8, 1/20 sec., ISO 100

24mm, f/8, 1/30 sec., ISO 100

24mm, f/8, 1/45 sec., ISO 100

24mm, f/8, 1/60 sec., ISO 100


No comments:

Post a Comment