Friday, October 16, 2015

Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens

I bought one of these lenses on eBay for $65. It was advertised as in excellent condition but it is missing the covering for the distance scale window and the zoom ring is a bit stiff to turn. That said, it's a really nice lens and I'll be on the lookout for a better copy at some point.

There are four or five versions of this lens which can be difficult to differentiate. When I first learned that this lens existed I did some research but all of the reviews had conflicting information about the different versions. Here a few of the sites I visited:

http://www.photozone.de/reviews/189-canon-ef-28-105mm-f35-45-usm-test-report--review

http://www.ebay.com/gds/WARNING-BUYERS-Canon-EF-28-105mm-USM-Lens-CONFUSION-/10000000003434191/g.html

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-28-105mm-f-3.5-4.5-II-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

http://kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/28-105mm.htm

The Ken Rockwell review is the one that motivated me to seriously consider this lens.

The one I obtained has the MACRO designation but is not labeled "II" and was made in Japan. It has a seven blade aperture. This should be mechanically identical to the lenses labeled "II" but Canon's DPP software identifies the lens as the original not the "II". The software has, however, a lens profile for the original as well as the "II" so all the corrections of the Digital Lens Optimizer function can be applied.

When I look for a better copy of the lens I will probably stick to the "II" version as they will be newer and more likely to be in better physical  condition. Although made in Taiwan, there shouldn't be a quality difference.

It's a small lens compared to my faster L zooms. Here it is with, the barrel extended at 105mm, along side 24-70mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses.




My first foray with the lens was at Cohoes Falls where the shot of the walkway in my last post was made. Here are some images made with a 5D Mark III showing the extremes of the zoom range along with some HDR images of the falls.


28mm

105mm





No comments:

Post a Comment