Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Wild Iris, Not Cattails

I was walking up along the old Champlain Canal again this morning and noticed a lot of yellow blossoms in an abandoned portion of the canal that I know is filled with Cattails. I kind of knew that cattails didn't have these kind of blossoms but they were spread out over the area so it looked like they really did.

While Iris and Cattail foliage do look quite similar, the Cattail plants were almost twice as tall as the similar looking plants that sported the yellow blossoms. So I concluded that there were numerous wild Iris plants interspersed with the Cattails in this bog like area.

I brought along an EOS 70D body with an EF-S 60mm f/2.8 macro USM lens together with a light tripod and remote release. This first shot shows the Iris blossoms in and among the taller Cattails.

I'm using this as a background for my MacBook.


Canon EOS 70D, EF-S 60mm f/2.8 macro USM, f/6.7, 1/60 sec., ISO 400

This shot is of the same blossom from a closer and different angle.


Canon EOS 70D, EF-S 60mm f/2.8 macro USM, f/6.7, 1/60 sec., ISO 400

I bracketed this particular shot with five exposures +/- 1 EV. As it turned out, processing all five files resulted in too much background detail for my liking. So I processed only the normally exposed file, shown above, and the -2 and -1 EV files. Here is the result.




No comments:

Post a Comment