Truland Photography

Saturday, May 9, 2015

An Alternative Walking Route

I occasionally get tired of the usual walking route and choose one of several alternates that I can still access without driving anywhere first. Today's route was up along the old Champlain Canal North of Waterford.

I brought along a 7D body and an EF 28mm f/1.8 USM lens that I traded a couple of other lenses for but haven't really used much yet. All but the first of these shots are three file HDR images +/- 1 1/2 EV.

Finally, we're getting some real growth started around here. It's been extremely dry, however, and the young cattails seem a bit water deprived. In fact, it's been about two weeks without measurable rain. Not usual for this time of year.

I'm going to assume that the grooves in the stone of the old lock are from ropes towing or securing barges as they traversed the old canal. Or maybe ropes that pulled the gates open or shut since that indentation is where the gates were. The final shot is of the abode of an enterprising Beaver although I'm not sure how he/she copes during the Winter when there is no water in this now overflow portion of the canal system.










No comments:

Post a Comment