Truland Photography

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Tale of Two Setups

I'm going to share some shots made with two different setups. First, a couple of images made with the EOS 7D and EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II.

I have to learn to be more conscious of the focal length setting on the zoom when I use this lens, particularly at the long end. Previously, my longest lenses had been single focal length lenses, a 300mm f/4 and a 400mm f/5.6. Using either the 1.4x or the 2x extender, this zoom reaches both those lengths and apertures. But I find that I don't pay attention to the zoom ring and I get back to find that I've made the shot at less than the longest focal length - not by design.

I actually don't remember if these two shots in particular are examples of this or not. They were made about a week ago and I might actually have intended to back off a bit, given the framing.


EOS 7D, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II w/2X at 380mm, f/5.6, 1/125 sec., ISO 400

EOS 7D, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II at 175mm, f/5.6, 1/750 sec., ISO 400

The second setup is the EOS 60D with the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro lens. These shots are of a bee feeding on the base of a trumpet vine blossom and are hand held in natural light.

This lens and body combination is quite small and the lens will focus to life size although you need to get within inches of the subject to get that much magnification. Image stabilization would be nice on a future upgrade to this little macro lens but that's unlikely. The lens would have to be larger and more costly and Canon already makes a 100mm f/2.8L Macro lens with IS.

The first 3:2 aspect ratio image is cropped somewhat, the second is not. The 1:1 (square) format images are just cropped in from the full images to show more detail without having to upload a large file. As usual, you can click on the image, then click on it again to view it at the size I have uploaded, then just use your back button.


EOS 60D, EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro, f/8, 1/250 sec., ISO 800



EOS 60D, EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro, f/8, 1/250 sec., ISO 800



No comments:

Post a Comment