Wednesday, January 17, 2024

2024 Plan Modified

I might have taken longer to consider whether to stick with the plan I described in my last post or shift to the plan I described in the post on New Years Day. But, I was up against a deadline to return the 85mm lens and thereby avoid having to trade it in at a significant loss. So I did return the lens.

The option to have only the RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens was altered in that I'm keeping the RF 16mm f/2.8 STM lens. Interestingly, the trade in value of the two lenses I am trading in went up a bit since my earlier quote. And I'm getting exactly what I paid for the RF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens.

Here are some shots from the past few days with the 28mm pancake lens and the 85mm lens.

Canon EOS R6, RF 28mm f/2.8 STM, f/4, 1/2000 sec., ISO 100

Canon EOS R6, RF 28mm f/2.8 STM, f/5.6, 1/2000 sec., ISO 100

Canon EOS R6, RF 85mm f/2 IS STM, f/2, 1/3000 sec., ISO 100

Canon EOS R6, RF 85mm f/2 IS STM, f/5.6, 1/250 sec., ISO 100

Another reason to go with the RF 24-105mm f/4L, one of the original RF lenses from when the EOS R was introduced, is that the HDR software I used to use all the time has a lens correction profile for that lens. Without a profile, files need to be corrected in other software first, then saved as DNG files, then processed in Photomatix Pro. Color HDR composites don't work to my liking with files from the EOS R6 for some reason but I do like the monochrome results. 

Here is an example which is from the single normally exposed file of the second scene above. EXIF would be the same except shutter speed was 1/1000 second.


UPDATE 1/24/2023: A week later, I'm still waiting for the 24-105mm L lens to ship from MPB. Everything went smoothly and I got the funds from the STM prime trade-ins but no new lens yet. A downside of this particular process, a return and separate trade-ins, is that I ended up paying sales tax on the whole price of the new lens, a difference of about $70.

And then, despite no email re: shipping or tracking information, the lens shows up on my front porch later in the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment