Truland Photography

Sunday, January 17, 2016

33" Water Main Rupture

I was walking back from Waterford this morning when I ran into flooded intersections, then torrents of water cascading down city streets. I actually had to walk about a half mile out of my way to bypass the water and get back home. I had my EOS 7D and EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens with me and documented some of the scenes. A gallery of full size images can be found at http://trulandphoto.zenfolio.com/watermain

As I process photos and write this blog, the water is still pouring out. I am one block away from the worst of the flooding and luckily dry and likely to remain that way given the topography of the streets. Many other homes, however, have had to be evacuated and had their power and gas shut off.

I heard estimates of eight hours or so before the busted main is shut off.

UPDATE 1/18/16: Amazingly, everything was back to almost normal by evening. Some homes remain without power or gas and, a day later, the street lights in this first photo still aren't working. But it's a credit to all the city workers that the leak was stopped and water rerouted to everyone so quickly.


















No comments:

Post a Comment