Saturday, August 1, 2015

Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM

I mentioned in my last post that I recently picked up a 24-70mm f/2.8L lens. This lens was replaced in Canon's lineup by the version II in 2012. The copy I obtained was made in February, 2011 and is in extremely good condition. I sold by previous copy a little over a year ago. This is a much newer and nicer copy for the same price I received for the older one.

24-70mm translates to a 38-112mm field view on my crop sensor bodies. Not ideal for landscapes but useful for event coverage, street or documentary photography. One problem is this lens cries out for a full frame body upon which to attach itself. I could see a used 5D Mark III in the future, or even a 5D Mark II now that I'm used to Magic Lantern and it's enhanced bracketing options. A 5D Mark II would really bring things back around to where I was in the middle of 2013 before I started making changes.

Here are two shots from the past few days showing the field of view range of the lens on my 7D followed by an HDR scenic and a cropped in shot of a Swallowtail Butterfly on Purple Loosestrife.


24mm

70mm
3 image HDR, 24mm, f/6.7, 1/750 sec., ISO 200, +/- 1 1/2 EV

70mm, f/6.7, 1/750 sec., ISO 200, cropped less than 50%

No comments:

Post a Comment