Saturday, June 13, 2015

A Summer Bag

I've been spending some time settling on a smaller kit to use for the majority of my photography over the Summer. I wanted a bag that can be carried comfortably but that also is flexible enough to be useful for a variety of situations.

I settled on a kit consisting of one APS-C body, four lenses, two filters, a small flash and a few accessories. My ThinkTank Photo Speed Racer shoulder bag fits everything with two pair of lenses stacked together with Op/tech double end caps.

I chose the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 28mm f/1.8 USM, EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM and EF 100mm f/2 USM lenses to cover a 10x focal length range, all with full time manual and internal focusing. Two lenses could be described a fast lenses (maximum apertures greater than f/2.8) and one will achieve 1:1 macro focusing.

The flash is my Canon Speedlite 270EXII which can operate as a slave flash for off camera use as well as a remote release for the camera's shutter. I'm including 77mm diameter circular polarizer and 3 stop neutral density filters with step up rings so they can be used with all the lenses.

An extra camera battery and wired remote release completes the bag which weighs in at exactly ten pounds. The following shots, looking from Lock E4 to Lock E5 on the Waterford flight of locks, show the extremes of the one zoom lens and the other three focal lengths. These are five file HDR images bracketed +/- 1 1/2 EV rather than my usual +/- 1 EV due to my needing new glasses.


EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM at 10mm

EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM at 22mm

EF 28mm f/1.8 USM

EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM

EF 100mm f/2 USM


No comments:

Post a Comment