Sunday, March 16, 2014

When Will It Be This Year?

I've shot the same little bunch of Crocus each of the last two Springs. The Crocus blossoms last for several days but when they appear can vary widely.

It is looking like this year will be more like last year than the year before. Currently, the patch of ground where the Crocus are waiting to pop up is frozen and covered with several inches of ice and snow.

In 2012, only three days after this date on March 19th, the blossoms were up and showing. This shot was made with an EOS 5D, which I've since sold, and the EF 300mm f/4 IS USM, which I've also since sold. I suspect I also used Canon's 500D closeup lens for this shot but am not absolutely certain.




Last year, this same bunch of Crocus was up much later, as this shot dated April 15th shows. This was also made with the EF 300mm f/4 IS USM and an EOS 5D Mark II which I recently sold.




I'll keep my eye on this patch of ground for this year's appearance. I don't know if we can blame the Groundhog or not but I'm much happier with weather like 2012 than 2014.

UPDATE 3/19/14: While watching local news this morning I realized why the blossoms were up on this date in 2012. That year was the warmest March on record and the temperature on the 19th reached 78 degrees. Today, 30's with rain and snow in the forecast.

No comments:

Post a Comment