Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Election Day Closeups

I currently have two effective ways to get closeup to nature subjects. The first method is the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM lens attached to my EOS 7D body. This combination has the field of view of a 96mm lens on a full frame camera but a very short working distance.

The second method is Canon's 500D closeup lens attached to the front of my EF-70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens. While I can use this with either the 7D or my 5D Mark II, I would normally choose the 5DII, as I did this morning for a hike around Peebles Island.

Serious closeup photography calls for tripods and remote releases but that's not conducive to exercise so I just carried the above referenced setup around, relying on image stabilization to hopefully capture some sharp images.

Here are some of the results and I'll share some thoughts following the images. All images were made with the EOS 5D Mark II and EF-70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens with 500D closeup lens attached.


120mm, f/8, 1/60 sec., ISO 200

200mm, f/8, 1/500 sec., ISO 200

88mm, f/8, 1/180 sec., ISO 200

155mm, f/8, 1/350 sec., ISO 200

As is very evident from the photo of the American Bittersweet the depth of field, even at f/8, with this combination is extremely narrow. In addition, as the last photo shows, the edges of the frame can be out of focus with a flat object.

The 60mm macro lens may well be a better option for certain closeups although it doesn't have the advantages of zooming and image stabilization. I think I'll repeat today's exercise with the other setup to hopefully make a comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment