Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Examining Closeup Options - Again

I've done a lot of posts over the years about various ways of making lenses focus closer. Extension tubes, reverse adapters, closeup "filters", extenders (teleconverters), etc. You can clock on the Closeup/Still Life label to see those posts.

Now that I've ruled out selling my 5D Mark III, I'm almost certainly going to sell my 100mm macro lens. In addition, when traveling, other methods to get close up take up far less space in bags. My upcoming trip to Chicago motivated my current examination as the macro lens will not be making the trip.

The two good lenses I will be bringing are my 24-105mm f/4L IS USM and 200mm F/2.8L II USM lenses. The closeup method I was testing was Canon's 500D closeup lens that attaches to the filter threads on the front of the lens.

As a rule, closeup filters have greater effect the longer the lens, as extension tubes have greater effect the shorter the lens. As is shown, there's not a lot of difference by adding the 500D to the 24-105mm lens. This lens has decent closeup focusing built in. The 200mm lens, by contrast, does not have great closeup focusing built in and adding the 500D makes a big difference. Of course, without image stabilization, any serious closeup work with the latter combination would require a tripod.


EF 24-105mm f/4L lens at 105mm at minimum focusing distance

EF 24-105mm f/4L lens at 105mm w/500D at minimum focusing distance

EF 200mm f/2.8L II lens at minimum focusing distance

EF 200mm f/2.8L II lens w/500D at minimum focusing distance

No comments:

Post a Comment