Friday, March 17, 2017

This Morning on Peebles Island

It's been a while since I've been over to check on the Bald Eagles at Peebles Island State Park. Since I've checked on them we've had two frigid weekends with low temperatures in the single digits and a 22 inch blizzard.

I was hoping there'd be enough of a path from snowshoers that the slightly over a half mile walk from the parking lot to the nest viewing site would be negotiable in my cross trainers. There was, although I had to use my monopod as a walking stick/ski pole a couple of times. Here's a view of the trail conditions for the half mile walk.


iPhone 7 with Camera+ app

There were a couple of smarter people with snow shoes on the trails, one of them also there to check on the Bald Eagles.


Canon EOS 7D, Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM at 150mm.

Canon EOS 7D, Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM at 150mm.

It was good to see a Bald Eagle tending to the nest and presumed egg(s) although in the half hour I hung around I did not see the other adult eagle. Here is a not so great shot of the nest with the lens maxed out to 500mm and cropped to 100% followed by an iPhone shot from the same location aimed at the nest.


Canon EOS 7D, Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM at 500mm.

iPhone 7 with Camera+ app

Lastly, you rarely leave Peebles Island without a few White-tailed deer sightings. This one was enjoying the show shoe trails as was I.


Canon EOS 7D, Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM at 370mm.


No comments:

Post a Comment