Truland Photography

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Vertical Vistas

I opted for the five mile version of my morning walk today for the first time since last Fall. This brings me further into the city of Cohoes and through a different part of the canal trail in Northside, Waterford. I even carried the 4.2 pound combination of 5D Mark III and 24-70mm f/2.8L lens.

I've chosen to share a few vertical scenics I made along the way. These are multi file HDR processed images but I tried to keep them natural looking as opposed to some of the more processed images I tend to like. Captions indicate focal length and exposure information for the normally exposed file.

This first shot is of what is called the first branch of the Mohawk River as it passes through the city of Cohoes. There are four branches which eventually result in three outlets into the Hudson River. Two on either side of Peebles Island to the North of Van Schaick Island and one to the South of Van Schaick Island. I cropped this to a 3x4 aspect ratio because in order to get a decent amount of the foreground I needed to include far too much of a bland sky.


24mm, f/6.6, 1/350 sec., ISO 200

This next shot is almost in the same location but facing South West instead of North. The church is St. Peter and St. Paul Ukrainian Catholic Church established in 1907.


70mm, f/5.6, 1/300 sec., ISO 200

This final shot is along the canal path in Waterford showing a pond like area of the canal with houses along route 32 in the background.


50mm, f/5.6, 1/500 sec., ISO 100


No comments:

Post a Comment