Thursday, June 4, 2015

A Better Version

I wanted to do some improvement on a photo I posted to start off the entry the other day about using lines in composition. That photo, which I won't repost here but it's in the other entry and right below this post, was a vertical crop from the photo below.


EOS 70D, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM at 10mm, f/6.7, 1/750 sec., ISO 200

There are a lot of things not to like about that image. Cropping it vertically fixed some of them but the object at the center, the old Cluett bleach plant on Peebles Island, is far too small and distant. A result, certainly, of the 10mm focal length used to capture the whole width of he bridge.

A few days later I was back at the location with my small EOS-M body and the kit EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens. On the way back from walking around the island I was intentional about trying to capture what I had cropped but bringing the bleach plant closer.

By using the 55mm focal length and standing farther back on the bridge I was able to frame the same lamp post in the same manner and achieve what I was after. Here is the single image which was captured at f/5.6 and 1/1000 sec. at ISO 200 followed by a 100% crop of the bleach plant structure.






You can't expect a lot more from a camera and lens combination which you can get used on eBay for around $200.  Finally, here is an HDR composite of the same scene made from the image shown above and images 1 1/2 EV over and under exposed. While the HDR file does add some things it also doesn't improve immensely on the single normally exposed file.




No comments:

Post a Comment