Truland Photography

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Live View Concert Shooting

I have not been using the EOS 5D Mark II all that much and decided to use it yesterday to make some photos of a high school All-County Music Festival. I was using live view mode because the camera is much quieter without the mirror slapping around.

When I was trying to sell the 5DII I had reset a lot of the camera options to their default settings. I forgot that I had done this so was surprised when the camera wasn't doing what I expected it to do when I switched it to live view. It took a bit of fumbling in the menus to get settings back where I wanted them.

I had originally planned to use the EOS-M with the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II lens but knew that 112mm on the short end of that setup would not be wide enough to capture whole groups. After deciding that the EOS-M with the 24-70mm f/2.8, and it's 38-112mm field of view, would not be long enough to isolate small groups of performers, I decided to go with the full frame 5DII and the longer zoom.

All of these shots were made at f/2.8 and ISO 1600. The only parameters which changed were the focal length and shutter speed which are set forth in the captions.


1/750 sec. at 102mm

1/1000 sec. at 200mm

1/500 sec. at 70mm

1/1500 sec. at 200mm


No comments:

Post a Comment