Friday, February 8, 2013

To HDR or not to HDR


I've become used to processing almost all my landscape images with HDR software rather than using a single exposure. One thing HDR processing can do is add texture to an otherwise boring sky.

While some people don't like the look of exaggerated HDR skies, I don't find it all that different from the result you'd get from using a polarizer filter.

A week ago I was out shooting on a very cold morning and decided to stop in at the old Cohoes Falls overlook downstream from the falls. We had just had a lot of rain and the Mohawk River was quite full.  After making a few shots of the falls, I walked a bit and turned my attention to the river below the falls.

Here are three shots from that perspective showing both a single, normally exposed image and the result of HDR processing using Photomatix Essentials' "painterly" settings. Bracketed exposures for the HDR processing were 1.5 stops under and over exposed.

Canon EOS 5DII, EF 17-40mm f/4L at 40mm, f/8, 1/500 sec., ISO 200

Canon EOS 5DII, EF 17-40mm f/4L at 17mm, f/8, 1/500 sec., ISO 200

Canon EOS 5DII, EF 17-40mm f/4L at 40mm, f/8, 1/500 sec., ISO 200


No comments:

Post a Comment