Monday, September 10, 2012

More Better Beamer Flash Extender

Back in July, I wrote about the Better Beamer Flash Extender. That post, with a picture of the extender mounted to the flash, can be read here.

Yesterday, I used the Better Beamer to make some shots of birds in the shade of trees to add to the Avian Fieldguide which you can visit via the link on the left.

The first is a White-breasted Nuthatch. In addition to the caption information, I used a Canon Speedlite 580EXII with the flash extender attached.

Canon EOS 50D, 300mm f/4.0L IS USM with EF 1.4XII, f/8, 1/250 sec, ISO 200
The second shot I got to add to the Avian Fieldguide was of a female Northern Cardinal. The bird was up in the tree canopy and backlit by the sun. The flash had not recycled for one of the shots so I can show you what the scene would look like without the flash and extender firing.

All in all, the shots are softer than I would like. Next time, I'm going to leave off the 1.4X extender and just shoot with the 300mm lens.

Canon EOS 50D, 300mm f/4.0L IS USM with EF 1.4XII, f/8, 1/45 sec., ISO 200

Canon EOS 50D, 300mm f/4.0L IS USM with EF 1.4XII, f/8, 1/250 sec., ISO 200

No comments:

Post a Comment