Truland Photography

Sunday, August 19, 2012

This Week on Peebles Island

I made two trips over to and around the Island this past week. Once with the 50D and 300mm lens and once with the 5D Mark II and my 17-40mm f/4L lens.

On the first trip with the crop sensor camera and the 300mm lens I was looking for wildlife. As usual when I bring this equipment I don't see much. Just the usual deer, one of which was actually  too close to me to photograph with that setup. Here is one of a deer off in the woods which I'm not particularly fond of due to the branch in front of the deer which creates a distracting line. Also, there's a branch behind the deer which makes it look like it's smoking a cigar.

Canon EOS 50D, EF 300mm f/4L IS USM, f/5.6, 1/350 sec., ISO 400

On the second trip, because I had a landscape setup, of course I saw more wildlife. In addition to the usual deer there was a Belted Kingfisher flying around over the Mohawk River along with some Great Blue Herons. I walked over to the island on this trip so didn't have the tripod for exposure bracketing.

Most of the scenes I shot were ones I have already uploaded to the Zenfolio gallery but the extra scope of the 17-40mm lens at its widest makes them a bit different. Here are two examples. The shot showing the dam I haven't done before because I didn't have a wide enough lens to get both the trail and the entire river and dam in the scene.

Canon EOS 5DII, EF 17-40mm f/4L at 17mm, f/8, 1/500 sec, ISO 400

Canon EOS 5DII, EF 17-40mm f/4L at 17mm, f/8, 1/250 sec, ISO 200

The last shot shows the barbed-wire fence along a trail leading from the parking lot, picnic portion of the park back to the trails around the main part of the Island.

Canon EOS 5DII, EF 17-40mm f/4L at 40mm, f/8, 1/350 sec, ISO 400

No comments:

Post a Comment