Truland Photography

Monday, May 28, 2012

Obnoxious Canada Geese

I was walking this morning along a path adjacent to the old Erie Canal which now serves as overflow for the New York State Barge Canal as locks empty and fill. At one point, there were a number of adult geese and goslings on the path and they were not about to move. The adult geese were hissing at me and I didn't really want to find out what they would actually do if I got too close.

So, I took a couple of pictures and walked down the hill to the right and around the geese.

Canon EOS 5D, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, f/8, 1/125 sec., ISO 200

A little farther on, I ran into some other geese but the trail was more open and I didn't have to get too close to them. I liked the backlit silhouettes of the goslings. I was shooting almost directly into the sun and there is a bit of flair in the upper left corner of the image. If I had been using my 24-70 zoom instead of the 50mm prime lens there undoubtedly would have been much more flare.

The boat is the tugboat Grand Erie which is owned by the New York State Canal Corporation and is moored just above lock 2 on the Erie portion of the New York State Barge Canal.  You can read a bit about the boat here.

Canon EOS 5D, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, f/8, 1/125 sec., ISO 200


No comments:

Post a Comment