Truland Photography

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

EOS 5D is not for Wildlife

I mentioned I picked up a full frame 5D recently. I took it out this morning with my 400 5.6 just to see how it performed looking for deer and birds on Peebles Island.

I found the AF to be far less effective than my 50D bodies. I also missed the reach of the 1.6 crop factor of the 50Ds.

As I was walking back to the car, under a berry tree of some sort, I noticed a bunch of Cedar Waxwings and Evening Grosbeaks feeding on the unripened berries. If you can identify the tree, please leave a comment.

I might have gotten some nice shots if I had the 400 hooked up to the 50D but the quick moving birds, in and out of the branches, were a bit much for the six year old technology of the 5D.

Here is a somewhat cropped shot of one of the Waxwings.


I like the texture and full frame scope of the 5D but I think I'll limit its use to landscapes and macros for the most part.

No comments:

Post a Comment